SHORT STORY : I Steal My Sister’s Best friend


I Steal My Sister’s Best friend
Story By: Nurliyana Zolkibli

I have a sister. When I was 10 years old, she is 11 years old. We went to school together in every morning but sometime not, because when she late, I leave her. She had so many different personalities compare with me but I think she is kind with everyone. However, she often bullied since the days of school.

I still remember at the time when we both followed our father to go to Masjid to perform Isya’. There are only three girls praying at the women place included my sister and me and the other one girl is our schoolmate. When we are praying, my sister was stands at the middle between three of us. Suddenly, I can feel movement by movement beside me and I heard my sister was cry. I cannot focus on my prayer then; I try to see what happened. The girl beside her pulls my sister’s telekung at the back. She did, and stops and she did it again repeatedly. I stop her by making a noise. After the Jemaah done perform their Isya', our father comes to see us. The girl’s father is also there. I explained all happened but the girl also denies what she did. Then, it just gone like nothing, we return home.

Talk about my sister again, she had friends. Yeah, it is about more than one but I’m not really sure whether they are honestly want to be her friend or just take opportunity on her. I do not like how her friends treat her. It sometime forces me to tell my mother to not let her go out and play with her friends, even she enjoy it.

I sometime care about my sister but sometime I can get mad with her when she did something annoying to me. One day we have fight because of something that I can’t remember but I guess, I make her heart hurt more. Because of that fight, my mother teaches us by tore all the pictures we both until we stop cry. I go to see the all pictures and silently cry.

When we are back from school, we are not using school bus but we are using a school lorry. Yes, it is a lorry where students will sit face to face. On our way home, I can see varieties of eyes looked at my sister. I do not know the reason, why they are bullying and ignoring my sister?, but I’m sure they’re also don’t know that my sister become weak like that because of incident occurred on her. That is a traumatic tragedy, where a bowl of blood clot removed from his head. It makes she lost all her spirit and she became weak physically. She ever fainted before going to school, she also ever lost opportunity to walk until we need to teach her to walk again. During her childhood, my mother said, she is very talkative kid, most wondering about everything until my mother feels so tired to answer all her question.

Still in age of 11 years old, at Sekolah Agama in evening school, my sister has one close friend. They are in the same boat where they are also were ignored with their classmate. Actually, they were being friend since they are 6 years old. When each grows, the situation has caused them to rarely meet until they finally met again at school. Usually in the class, they will sit far from others because the teacher always gives more attention on the bright students.

Thus, I want to tell everyone that, she is my sister’s best friend. She will always come to our house and asking about my sister. Sometime, they will study together and when she asks to study at her house on night, my sister will brings me together to go to her house. Then, three of us will spend time together, study together, laughing; make a joke, and having fun. She is nice and so honest person. I think she is the right one to be my sister's friend.

The time goes on. When they are 12 years old and I was 11 years old. Start from this age, I will always joining my sister and her best friend hang out and play together. So many things we did together and the best part is when hari raya, we are collecting duit raya together, and in every malam raya we are planning to go which house first and the next-next-next house. It is very precious moment to remember between us.

Time followed by time when I get to be more close with my sister’s best friend, we have so many topics to shared together. She starts to be closer with me as well while my sister is a person who is not many storytelling instead she just listening and enjoy by listening. I am not realizing the changes until finally I be a best friend of my sister’s best friend. It sounds cruel when people see that I use to steal her from my sister but it exactly happened. I am not realizing when I leave my sister behind. My sister does not know how to play badminton and cycling but both of this game is what I play with her best friend. I ever teach my sister to play the bicycle but it does not work because of her frightened. While we are playing, my sister just watching us and if she was getting bored, she will leave and returns to home. Day by day, I mostly spent time with my sister’s best friend until we are totally being a best friend. My sister rarely joins us so we don’t mind it instead we just go out played together.

Now, the story between my sister’s best friend and I. I currently called her a ‘best friend’. My best friend and I. Yes, Buddy forever. So called BFF. Every time she comes to my house, she will call me and we will go out together. Walk all around, talking about something what we dream for. We spent time out together without asking to my sister; ‘did you want to join us?’. No and never ask her. My sister just stay at home watch the television and never said that she want to join us. So damn disappointing memories to remember. If I could returns back to that time, I want realized everything and I should understand my sister’s situation that time. 'I want to play with you'....'I want to follow you'....'Please bring me together with you'. Just a cruel younger sister I am.

I think it is the time for me to feel what my sister felt. About 2 years I being close with my best friend, she suddenly moved to another place and we finally so far apart now. But, we still contact with each other. She have a new life which much happy for her. Our lifestyle is so far different but we still can understand to each other. She is still a friend that I know past years before. She stills the nicer and the honest person that I know. She much inspires me and gives me more motivation to be like her.

After we finished our school, she continues her study in University as well as me. Since that, we are rarely having conversation because of our busyness as a student. Now, I miss her. I never found a friend as good as her. Everyday, I thought to text her but I’m afraid if it would not same like before. Did I still can be as talkative as before when I’m talking with her?

I’m sorry sister, I know you must felt what I currently feels right now. I’m sorry because I was stealing your best friend without thinking about you. Now, time was stealing my best friend from me. Dear sister, I also lost our moment together where the day of our childhood that we supposed to spend it together. Today, we have grown up as an adult and I’ll never let the time stealing my sister from me. I just want to tell everyone, once someone stealing your best friend, it is very hurt but if someone stealing your sister, it is much more hurt. It might be the hardest goodbye we would have in our life.

- LOVE NEVER END -

Comments